Scholarship vs. higher rank

Decisions. Decisions. Decisions.

Moderators: Phil Hatch, Brent Dunn

Scholarship vs. higher rank

Postby gpiercy52@gmail.com » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:27 pm

Hello everyone!

I am just wanting to see what everyone thinks about the following situation.

Which school would you choose to attend if...

You received a full ride scholarship to a 2nd tier school and you were admitted (without a scholarship) to a top tier (perhaps a top 30) law school?
gpiercy52@gmail.com

Re: Scholarship vs. higher rank

Postby dsestes » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:18 pm

I would probably go to the better school. But, there are some pieces of info that aren't in your question. How much money at the 2nd tier school? Is money a huge issue for you? Is one located in a city you'd like to practice in, vs. not so much? (This one is probably the biggest factor, very few law school degrees are as portable as most of us wish they were.)

It's my opinion that one should view paying for law school, as well as any other education as an investment. But, that's just me. You have to think about it from more perspectives than just rank.

Hope this helps, good luck.
dsestes

Re: Scholarship vs. higher rank

Postby DavidBeardall@gmail.com » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:25 pm

dsestes wrote:I would probably go to the better school. But, there are some pieces of info that aren't in your question. How much money at the 2nd tier school? Is money a huge issue for you? Is one located in a city you'd like to practice in, vs. not so much? (This one is probably the biggest factor, very few law school degrees are as portable as most of us wish they were.)

That raises an interesting question that I have - just how portable is a law degree? What makes one more portable? I've got a very strong technical background and plan to focus hard on IP law, which I believe is portable. Is this right, or am I misinformed?

David B. - Boise ID - David Beard all at g mail dot com

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:25 pm.
DavidBeardall@gmail.com

Return to Law School